Our faculty’s contributions are foundational for advancing the field of Dissemination & Implementation (D&I) research.
Dissemination and Implementation Research in Health
Discourse on D&I, both in the U.S. and globally, has been shaped by the book Dissemination and Implementation Research in Health: Translating Science to Practice (Oxford University Press, 2017; 1st ed. 2012).
Co-edited by three WashU faculty members — Ross C. Brownson, Graham A. Colditz, and Enola K. Proctor — the text outlines the key context, theory, and approaches for D&I.
They spotlight key challenges and opportunities to make research efforts as impactful and life-changing as they are meant to be. This text has become a seminal resource in the field of Dissemination & Implementation.
The below represents a slice of the most cited D&I articles over the last 5 years, with first authors affiliated with Washington University in St. Louis.
Our most-cited publications include:
- Mazzucca S., Arredondo EM. Hoelscher, DM., Haire-Joshu D., Tabak RG., Kumanyika SK., Brownson RC. Expanding Implementation Research to Prevent Chronic Diseases in Community Settings [published online ahead of print, 2021 Jan 19]. Annu Rev Public Health. 2021;10.1146/annurev-publhealth-090419-102547. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-090419-102547
- Baumann AA, Carothers BJ, Landsverk J, et al. Evaluation of the Implementation Research Institute: Trainees’ Publications and Grant Productivity. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2020;47(2):254-264. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10488-019-00977-4
- Baumann AA, Cabassa LJ. Reframing implementation science to address inequities in healthcare delivery. BMC Health Serv Res. 2020;20(1):190. Published 2020 Mar 12. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12913-020-4975-3
- Wiltsey Stirman S, Baumann AA, Miller CJ. The FRAME: an expanded framework for reporting adaptations and modifications to evidence-based interventions. Implement Sci. 2019;14(1):58. Published 2019 Jun 6. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13012-019-0898-y
- Theobald S, Brandes N, Gyapong M, El-Saharty S., Proctor E. et al. Implementation research: new imperatives and opportunities in global health. Lancet. 2018;392(10160):2214-2228. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(18)32205-0
- Powell BJ, Beidas RS, Lewis CC, et al. Methods to Improve the Selection and Tailoring of Implementation Strategies. J Behav Health Serv Res. 2017;44(2):177-194. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11414-015-9475-6
Our faculty’s high-impact publications also include articles in journals like Implementation Science, American Journal of Public Health, Translational Behavioral Medicine, Frontiers in Public Health, American Journal of Preventive Medicine, and D&I Research in Health: Translating Science into Practice, among others.